Vegas investigators tweak details of how massacre unfolded
Sheetal Sukhija - Tuesday 10th October, 2017
Police changed their account of how the Vegas massacre began
Gunman Stephen Paddock shot a security guard in the hallway of the hotel
The revelation changes the timeline of events, deepening mystery around the shooting
LAS VEGAS, U.S. - After making more progress in the investigation, police in Las Vegas have now changed the time of events around the October 1 shooting.
The police has confirmed that the gunman, identified as Stephen Paddock shot a security guard in the hallway of the Mandalay Bay hotel six minutes before opening fire on a concert below from his room.
Making the revelation, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo significantly changed the timeline of events, increasing the mystery surrounding America’s worst mass shooting.
Last week, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department stated that the security guard Jesus Campos was responding to an open-door alarm on Paddock’s floor as the shooting was under way.
He speculated that the encounter was what caused Paddock to stop shooting, however investigators have not commented on exactly why Paddock stopped shooting even though they earlier said he fired on the crowd for nine to 11 minutes.
On Monday, Sheriff Lombardo also confirmed that the security guard was shot in the hotel’s hallway after he was responded to a report of an open door and heard drilling from Paddock’s room.
Earlier, investigators revealed that Paddock had installed three cameras to monitor the approach to his suite.
He fired 200 shots through the door, down the hall, wounding the guard, who is said to have alerted other security officials.
A few minutes later, Paddock began his 10-minute spree, killing 58 people enjoying a concert below.
Sherrif Lombardo also revealed that Paddock had power tools and was attempting to drill a hole in an adjacent wall, perhaps to mount another camera or to point a rifle through - however, he never managed to complete the work.
Paddock also drilled holes and bolted a metal bar to try to prevent the opening of an emergency exit stairwell door near the door of his room.
Sheriff Lombardo added that “some things are going to change” in the investigation as gather more information.
Sheriff Lombardo also said police are confident that Paddock carried out the massacre alone.
Adding that police have found evidence showing Paddock moving around Las Vegas more than 200 times in the days before the shooting.
He was believed to be alone always.
The sheriff said, “We believe he decided to take the lives he did and he had a very purposeful plan he carried out.”
At the end of the press conference, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Laura Meltzer said police believe Campos was able to notify his security dispatcher after he was shot.
This is what allowed police to find Paddock’s room quickly.
However, investigators are still struggling to find a motive in the shooting and are examining every aspect of the gunman’s life, along with over a thousand investigative leads.
Meanwhile, the sheriff, without revealing further details, stated that investigators have found evidence of medication Paddock used.
He said that the FBI and Las Vegas Metro police had revisited Paddock’s homes in Mesquite and Reno, looking for clues about a motive.
On Monday, parts of Las Vegas seemed to slowly return to normal as airports, hotels and casinos were operating in full swing.
Friends and relatives of the victims and other concertgoers who survived the deadliest mass shooting in the country’s history returned to reclaim lost objects that they left at the Route 91 Harvest festival, as they fled in panic.
Clark County Emergency Manager John Steinbeck said that people left behind thousands of items at the venue of the concert.
Authorities made elaborate arrangements to assist people with their lost belongings and volunteers filled out intake forms with detailed descriptions of their lost items.
People received their belongings in re-sealable plastic bags.
When talking about American independent cinema, there is before Steven Soderbergh's sex, lies, and videotape and after. Debuting at the Sundance Film Festival in 1989, Soderbergh's debut feature, shot for just over $1.25 million when he was 26 years old ...
Washington D.C. [U.S.A.], July 19 (ANI): Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award (ESPY) 2018 was held on Wednesday in Los Angeles.
Aired on ABC, the ceremony was hosted by former professional ra ...